Walnut Cake Recipe as Polish Easter Dessert
Mazurek – An Easter Dessert Recipe
This walnut cake recipe is my mom’s favorite Easter dessert recipe. She makes this mazurek every year for Easter and even sometimes when she has a bigger party.
This walnut cake, one of many Polish Easter recipes, is very practical when you have a lot of people visiting, since you can cut it into bite size pieces.
That way, you will have fewer crumbs on the floor to clean up afterwards.
This Mazurek has a very intensive walnut cake, but if you don’t like walnuts or don’t have them, you can use pecans.
In the US pecans are much more common, and honestly I like them better, but in Germany or Poland they are very expensive and I end up using walnuts.
Anyway, I can recommend this cake to you because everybody who tries it loves it and it is usually the first one to go at Easter and parties.
I hope that you will enjoy this walnut cake recipe.
Walnut Cake Recipe
For the shortbread dough:
• 300 g flour (2 cups)
• 200 g butter (7 oz)
• 100 g sugar (3.5 oz)
• 1 egg yolk
• 2 table spoons of cream
• Pinch of salt
For the walnut topping:
• 150 ml milk
• 300 g sugar (7 oz)
• 120 g butter
• 3 tablespoons of cream
• 3 egg yolks
• 300 g grounded walnuts or pecans
Preheat the oven to 175°C – 350°F
Prepare the shortbread crust:
• Knead the flour, butter, sugar, cream, egg yolk, and pinch of salt to smooth dough. I recommend using the hook attachment on most mixers, but you could use your hands.
• Cover the dough with plastic foil and place it in a fridge for 30 minutes.
• Roll the dough until ¼” or thinner on a silicone baking mat, and if you don’t have one, use wrapping foil.
• Flip the dough onto a rectangular cookie sheet form.
• Prick the dough with a fork so that the steam can escape.
• Bake it at 175°C (350°F) for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
How to make the topping:
• Cook the sugar with the milk until it becomes a thick syrup.
• Take it off the heat and add the butter, cream, and the egg yolks. Mix well using an electric mixer.
• Mix in the grounded nuts and spread the topping onto the warm baked shortbread crust.
• Cool it for 24 hours before cutting into small squares.
Click here to rate this homemade cake recipe
Return from Walnut Cake Recipe to Easter Desserts
Return from Walnut Cake Recipe to Easy Cake Recipes Homepage