Basic Yeast Strudel Dough Recipe
Traditional strudel dough used for cheese, almond, or apple strudel
This yeast strudel dough is used as a base for all different kind of strudels. You can make any filling you like and use this strudel dough as your base. This recipe yields two strudels so that you can make two different types of yeast cakes at once.
I like making yeast cakes, especially in winter, since then our wood oven is on and the dough rises quickly. In the past, I have found that when I’ve used hot milk (not boiling hot), the dough has risen faster than when the milk was warm.
Same thing goes for the butter. Add it hot and the dough will rise quicker. Of course, you cannot keep it in a drafty, cold place since then even the hottest milk and butter won’t help you.
Strudel Dough Recipe
For the strudel:
• 500 g flour (3 1/3 cup)
• 40 g yeast (1.4 oz)
• 250 g milk (1 cup)
• 100 g sugar (3.5 oz)
• 100 g butter (3.5 oz)
• 1 egg
• 2 egg yolks
• 1 spoon of vanilla sugar
• Pinch of salt
• 1 egg to smear (optional)
How to make the dough:
• Mix the yeast using a spoon with 1 spoon of sugar. Add warm milk and 100 g flour. Mix well, cover with a clean cloth and let it grow in a WARM place (the temperature will speed up the process).
• Beat the egg yolks with the rest of the sugar so that the color of the mixture is bright yellow.
• When the yeast mixture has doubled its volume move it to a mixing bowl and using an electric mixer with a hook attachment add the beat egg yolks, 1 egg, flour, a pinch of salt, and knead well.
• When you see air bubbles in the dough, slowly add melted butter and vanilla sugar.
• Mix for 10 to 15 minutes longer. The longer one kneads a yeast cake, the fluffier it will be in the end. Cover the dough with a clean cloth and let it grow until it doubles its volume.
• While the cake grows, prepare the filling.
• Preheat the oven at 180°C – 355°F
• Once the dough has doubled its volume, divide it into two.
• Roll each part on parchment paper into a rectangle ¼ inch thick.
• Smear the filling, leaving a 5/8 of an inch free on each edge.
• Roll the dough, using the parchment paper to help yourself.
• Place the strudels wrapped in baking paper into the oven and bake for 30 minutes at 180°C.
• If you have long enough forms, then grease and butter them and place the strudels into them, you can then smear the strudels with slightly whipped egg.
Source: “Najlepsze przepisy kuchni polskiej” by Marek Lebkowski
Click here to rate this homemade cake recipe
Return from Strudel Dough to Strudel Recipes
Return to Easy Cake Recipes Homepage