Delicious Sponge Cake Recipe
Basic Sponge Cake Recipe that bakes perfectly with my easy technique
I have this basic sponge cake recipe from our last vacation in Sued Tirol. We stayed in a
that offered cakes in the afternoon. This is where I got this recipe for this sponge cake. It bakes wonderfully and makes just a perfect base cake for any occasion. We ate in a form of a raspberry torte, but you could really do anything you like with it.
This sponge cake recipe delivers a huge cake, so make sure to use the form size I give you, or half the recipe and use a 9” form. Even though the cake is large (at least for my standards) it tastes so good, that it was gone in 3 days and I had nobody over.
The key to all sponge cakes, I think, is to soak them through with syrup. You can never have enough syrup. The more syrup you use, the better the cake is in the end. I just recently read that one can soak the cake with the help of a syringe.
I tried this technique when I made this cake and it came out to be much easier than using a spoon. You can distribute the syrup more evenly with the syringe, so I can strongly recommend using one.
I hope that you will enjoy this sponge cake recipe as much as I did.
Sponge Cake Recipe
For the cake:
• 8 large eggs
• 300 g sugar (1 ½ cup)
• 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
• Zest from organic lemon
• 250 g flour (1 2/3 cup)
• 50 g potato flour (1.8 oz)
• 1 pinch of salt
For the syrup:
• 250 ml water
• 100 g sugar (1/2 cup)
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C)
Prepare the cake:
• Using an electric mixer, mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla sugar, and lemon zest until warm by placing them in a bowl, suspended over simmering water. Make sure that the water does not touch the mixing bowl.
• Move the eggs and sugar mixture to your tabletop mixer bowl and using the large whisk, beat them for at least 5 minutes or until it cools off.
• Once the mixture has cooled off, add the flour, the potato flour and salt. Mix in with a spatula or with the large mixing whisk for a couple of seconds.
• Pour the batter into a well greased and floured form (23cm x 7cm – 11” x 2.5“).
• Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20 minutes and then at 340°F (170°C) for another 20 minutes. Do not open the oven before the first 40 minutes are up. Check for doneness with a long toothpick before you take out the cake.
Prepare the syrup:
• Combine sugar and water in a small sauce pot and cook until it boils and all the sugar has dissolved, stirring from time to time.
• Take it off the heat.
Prepare the cake:
• Let the cake cool off.
• Cut it into layers.
• Soak the bottom layer with the syrup.
• Smear the soaked layer with cream of your choice (ex. Vanilla cream).
• Place the top layer onto it.
• Soak the top layer with syrup.
• Garnish the top as you like (ex. Cover the top with apricots jam, place strawberries or raspberries on top).
Click here to rate this easy cake recipe
Here is the homemade sponge cake recipe comment written by my visitors:
Jan 22, 2011
Did you enjoy this easy cake recipe? YES
Were the directions easy to follow? YES
Irena from the USA wrote: “I like to use the recipes which are in this page. I like as well modify them slightly. I did it in the case of this one. The cake itself was delicious but instead of any cream I used just strawberries jam and some chopped almonds. I added as well a little lemon juice to the syrup. The result was quite good.”
Return from Sponge Cake to Simple Sponge Cake Recipes.
Return from Sponge Cake Recipe to Easy Cake Recipes Homepage