Polish Easter Recipes For Orange Cake Recipe
Mazurek – An Easy Easter Dessert
Typical Polish Easter recipes are recipes for “Mazurek.” This is a layer of shortbread dough covered with a topping. The recipe below is for a type of an orange cake.
It is basically shortbread dough covered with an orange topping and baked. This is one of the easiest Easter desserts that I know of, since one does not need to make any involved decorations.
This Polish Easter recipe – Mazurek - has a tangy taste and is a little chewy. The orange topping has an intensive orange taste, so you have to like oranges to eat it. I strongly recommend using organic oranges since for this recipe you will need the whole fruit. Enjoy this nice Easter dessert.
Polish Easter Recipes
For the shortbread dough:
• 300 g flour (2 cups)
• 200 g butter (7 oz)
• 100 g sugar (3.5 oz)
• 1 egg yolk
• 2 table spoons of cream
• Pinch of salt
For the orange topping:
• 4 scrubbed oranges
• 300 g sugar (7 oz)
• Juice from 1 lemon
Preheat the oven to 175°C – 350°F
Prepare the shortbread crust:
• Knead the flour, butter, sugar, cream, egg yolk, and pinch of salt to smooth dough. I recommend using the hook attachment on most mixers, but you could use your hands.
• Cover the dough with plastic foil and place it in a fridge for 30 minutes.
• Roll the dough until ¼” or thinner on a silicone baking mat, and if you don’t have one, use wrapping foil.
• Flip the dough onto a rectangular cookie sheet form.
• Prick the dough with a fork so that the steam can escape.
• Bake it at 175°C (350°F) for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
How to make the topping:
• Boil the whole oranges in water until the fruits are soft.
• Cool the oranges and peel 3 1/2 leaving half of an orange with the peel on. Grind them to a paste.
• Add the lemon juice and mix well.
• Boil 150 ml of water with 300 g sugar and when the sugar has dissolved, add the orange paste and cook until the mixture thickens.
• Spread the topping onto the baked shortbread crust.
• Bake at 175°C (350°F) for 25 minutes.
• Cut into small squares after taking it out from the oven.
Click here to rate this easy homemade recipe
Return from Polish Easter Recipes to Easter Desserts
Return from Mazurek to Easy Cake Recipes Homepage