Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Italian buttercream – frosting based on egg whites
This chocolate buttercream frosting recipe is much easier to make then the regular buttercream based on egg yolks.
This chocolate buttercream icing is really an Italian buttercream. Since it is based on egg whites instead on egg yolks, it is much more airy, softer, and lighter than the traditional buttercream.
The chocolate flavor is also more intense making this frosting an excellent cream for chocolate butter cakes and chocolate sponge cakes.
When you make this chocolate buttercream frosting recipe, make sure to have the eggs at room temperature. Also, don’t worry about eating raw eggs. Egg whites are not prone to bacteria growth as are egg yolks.
If you want to make sure that your eggs are safe, wash them with detergent while they are in the shell. Give this Italian buttercream frosting a chance, next time you bake a chocolate cake.
Buttercream Frosting Recipe
For the Italian buttercream:
• 454 g (2 cups) of butter (at room temperature)
• 4 large egg whites (at room temperature)
• 200 g (1 cup) sugar
• 285 g bittersweet chocolate (10 oz)
How to make the chocolate buttercream icing:
• Melt the chocolate in a bowl suspended over simmering water. Make sure that the water is not touching the bowl where the chocolate is. You can also melt the chocolate in a microwave, on high power, stirring every 20 seconds.
• Beat the butter until light and fluffy
• In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
• Add the sugar gradually, and beat until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised.
• Add the butter, tablespoon after a tablespoon. If the buttercream looks curdled, then increase speed. Make sure that the mixture is smooth before adding more butter.
• Add the melted and cooled off chocolate and beat until smooth.
• Store in an airtight container. You may keep this icing 3 days in room temperature, 2 weeks in a fridge, and 6 months frozen.
Click here to rate this recipe
Here are buttercream frosting comments written by my visitors:
Feb 17, 2011
Did you enjoy this Italian Buttercream? YES
Were the directions easy to follow? YES
Lindy from the USA wrote: “If you are a chocolate lover you will adore this chocolate icing, this is the best recipe for chocolate icing i have ever made. Rich yet fluffy and decadent. It is just luscious and sinful! It is also easy to make, no dealing with egg yolks and boiling syrups! Just beat the egg white and sugar into a meringue, beat in butter a little at a time and then beat in cooled melted chocolate. The longer you beat it the better it comes, its almost foolproof! Try it, you won't be disappointed.”
Return from Buttercream Frosting Recipe to Cake Frosting Recipes
Return from Chocolate Buttercream Icing to Easy Cake Recipes Homepage