Original Recipe For Strawberry Cake
Delicious strawberry cake recipe based on a basic sponge cake recipe
I used this recipe for strawberry cake when I once bought too many fruits and needed to make something out of them. I made enough jelly so a strawberry cake was a good idea.
This strawberry cake recipe is based on a basic sponge cake recipe. I added mascarpone cream to it, strawberry syrup and a glaze. It is as easy as it sounds.
I can strongly recommend you to try this recipe for strawberry cake. One piece will not be enough. You will want to eat more. Since the cake has no butter in it, it is relatively light, making it easy to let yourself go.
There is plenty of sugar in the cake but the strawberries balance everything beautifully making this really a delicious dessert.
I hope that you will enjoy this recipe for strawberry cake as much as my family did.
Recipe for Strawberry Cake
For the sponge cake bottom:
• 4 large eggs
• 150 g sugar ( 3/4 cup)
• 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
• Zest from half of organic lemon
• 125 g flour (1/2 and 1/3 cup)
• 25 g potato flour (0.9 oz)
• Pinch of salt
Additionally, you will need:
• 4 tablespoons of strawberry jelly
• 1350 g small strawberries, stemmed and washed (2.9 lbs)
• 250 g mascarpone (8.8 oz)
• 75 g powdered sugar (2.6 oz)
• 250 ml water (1 cup)
• 100 g sugar (1/2 cup)
• 150 g (3.5 oz) strawberries, pureed
• 1 tablespoon potato starch
Preheat the oven to 350°F - 175°C (use the oven program where the heat is coming from top and bottom, the cake bakes better that way)
Prepare the sponge cake:
• Using an electric mixer, mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla sugar, and lemon zest until warm by placing them in a bowl, suspended over simmering water. Make sure that the water does not touch the mixing bowl.
• Move the eggs and sugar mixture to your tabletop mixer bowl and using the large whisk, beat them for at least 5 minutes or until it cools off.
• Once the mixture has cooled off, add the flour, the potato flour, and salt. Mix in with a spatula or with the large mixing whisk for a couple of seconds.
• Pour the batter into a well greased and floured 9” round form.
• Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Do not open the oven before the first 20 minutes are up. Check for doneness with a long toothpick before you take out the cake. If the cake is not done, bake it for 5 more minutes.
Prepare the syrup:
• Combine sugar and water in a small sauce pot and cook until it boils and all the sugar has dissolved, stirring from time to time.
• Take it off the heat.
• Puree 150 g (5.3 oz) of strawberries and strain the seeds out.
• Add the strawberry puree to the syrup and mix well.
Prepare the cream:
• Beat the mascarpone until fluffy and smooth.
• Add powdered sugar and mix well.
Prepare the cake: 1. Measure how much of the syrup you have left. You need to have 300 ml (around 1 ¼ cup) of liquid. You will have less. Puree the rest of the strawberries and add to the syrup. Make sure you have 300 ml, not more.
2. Pour around 250 ml (1 cup) into a pot and bring to boil.
3. Mix the potato starch with the rest 50 ml (1/4 cup) of the strawberry syrup.
4. Add the 50 ml (1/4 cup) to the boiling syrup and stir until the mixture thickens. This will happen relatively quickly.
5. Quickly glaze the strawberries with the glaze you prepared. You have to work relatively quickly since the glaze thickens fast.
• Let the cake cool off.
• Cut it into layers.
• Soak the bottom layer with the syrup using a syringe. You will see that the cake will be pinkish red from the syrup. There is no need to use half of the syrup for each layer since the cake will be moist enough from the strawberries.
• Smear the soaked layer with the mascarpone cream.
• Cut some of the strawberries into slices and place them on the cream, tightly next to each other.
• Place the top layer onto it.
• Soak the top layer with syrup.
• Smear the strawberry jelly on the top layer and arrange the small strawberries on top.
• Prepare the glaze:
Click here to rate this strawberry cake recipe
Return from Recipe for Strawberry Cake to Fruit Cake Recipe Collection.
Return from Recipe for Strawberry Cake to Easy Cake Recipes Homepage