Delicious Raspberry Coffee Cake Recipe
Basic sponge cake recipe – perfect for those even hard to impress.
I have this raspberry coffee cake recipe from a
where we spent out last vacation. Each afternoon, after hiking, a cake buffet was waiting for us and this cake caught our attention. After trying, we ate it every day.
I had to get this raspberry coffee cake recipe and try it out at home. The hotel management was nice enough to give it to me, and here it is.
I love almost every raspberry cake, since raspberries are my favorite fruits, and this recipe did not disappoint me. This raspberry cake is based on a basic sponge cake recipe.
To make the cake, you will have to beat the eggs with sugar on steam. This process will deliver a perfect cake that will be flat on the top once it cooled off.
For this cake you will need a 23 cm by 7 cm form (11 inch x 2.5 inch) and a cake setting ring. If you don’t have one, I suggest dividing the sponge cake recipe in half and bake it in 9” spring pan. You can use frozen or fresh raspberries to top the cake.
Raspberry Coffee Cake Recipe
For sponge cake recipe:
• 8 large eggs
• 300 g sugar (1 ½ cup)
• 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
• Zest from organic lemon
• 250 g flour (1 2/3 cup)
• 50 g potato flour (1.8 oz)
• 1 pinch of salt
For the syrup:
• 350 ml water
• 150 g sugar (1/2 cup)
For the vanilla cream:
• 60 g mascarpone (around 4 oz)
• 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 large egg whites
• 2/3 cup of sugar (130 g)
For the raspberry topping:
• 175 g apricot jam (6.1 oz)
• 400 g of raspberries (14.1 oz)
• 1 pack of gelatin
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C)
Prepare the sponge cake:
• Using an electric mixer, mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla sugar, and lemon zest until warm by placing them in a bowl, suspended over simmering water. Make sure that the water does not touch the mixing bowl.
• Move the eggs and sugar mixture to your tabletop mixer bowl and using the large whisk, beat them for at least 5 minutes or until it cools off.
• Once the mixture cooled off, add the flour, the potato flour, and salt. Mix in with a spatula or with the large mixing whisk for a couple of seconds.
• Pour the batter into a well greased and floured form (23cm x 7cm – 11” x 2.5“).
• Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes and then at 340°F for another 20 minutes. Do not open the oven before the first 40 minutes are up. Check for doneness with a long toothpick before you take out the cake.
Prepare the syrup:
• Combine sugar and water in a small sauce pot and cook until it boils, stirring from time to time.
Prepare the vanilla cream:
• Split the vanilla bean lengthwise, scrape the seeds and save them.
• Whip the mascarpone cheese and the vanilla seeds until fluffy.
• Simmer water in a medium pot.
• Combine the egg whites with sugar in a mixing bowl and make a double boiler by placing the mixing bowl over the pot of simmering water. Do not let the bottom of the pot touch the mixing bowl.
• Using a regular whisk (the one you use to make salad dressing) whisk the eggs until they reach 110°F (they will be warm to the touch).
• Remove from heat.
• Whip the egg mixture with an electric mixer until they cool off. If you have a table top mixer, use it since this can take several minutes.
• Add the vanilla - mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth.
Prepare the gelatin:
• Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Prepare the cake:
• Let the cake cool off.
• Cut it into layers.
• Soak the bottom layer with the syrup, preferably using a syringe. Use half of the syrup.
• Smear the soaked layer with the vanilla cream.
• Place the top layer onto it.
• Soak the top layer with syrup.
• Place a cake ring around the cake.
• Smear the top with the apricot jam.
• Place raspberries on top of the apricot jam.
• Cover the raspberries with liquid gelatin, preferably using a syringe. You don’t have to use the entire gelatin, just enough to add a glace to the berries.
• Enjoy this Raspberry Coffee Cake Recipe!
Click here to rate this easy cake recipe
Return from Raspberry Coffee Cake Recipe to Fruit Cake Recipe Collection.
Return from Raspberry Coffee Cake Recipe to Easy Cake Recipes Homepage.