Easy Pecan Cake Recipe – Perfect Birthday Cake
Delicious flourless cake recipe that you just have to try.
This pecan cake recipe is my mother’s favorite cake. She always uses this flourless cake recipe when somebody has a birthday, or she has a big party.
People just simply love this easy cake recipe. We used to joke that once she gets fired from her job, she could always bake cakes. Well, she stayed happily at her job, and continued to make easy birthday cakes with this pecan cake recipe.
She says that the secret to make a good torte (this is what this really is, a torte) is to make the base cake wet with sweet black tea.
You will see that the cake will be great if you really make it wet, so you shouldn’t save too much on the tea. Also you can freeze this cake if you have leftovers, which helps if you have a small household and still want to make a fancy cake.
The base cake is really easy to make, the icing requires a little work, as well as the decoration, but that is always the case with birthday cakes, isn’t it?
I wrote in the directions to make this cake that you should start with preparing part if the icing first and then do the pecan cake. If you follow my advice, you will have to wait less for the milk-flour mixture to cool off.
Well, anyway, don’t be scared, try it out and enjoy it! This really is a delicious easy pecan cake recipe.
Easy Pecan Cake Recipe
For the cake batter:
• 200 g sugar
• 10 eggs
• 380 g grounded pecans or walnuts
• 1 teaspoon instant coffee
• 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
• 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
• 2 tablespoons cocoa
For the icing:
• 5 tablespoons of flour
• 1 cup of milk (250ml )
• 3 teaspoons instant coffee
• 1 cup of butter (227 g)
• 1 cup of sugar (200 g)
• 50 ml vodka or brandy or cognac (you can leave this out or use less)
• Sour jelly (cranberry jelly) to smear the middle layer (around 3 tablespoons)
Preheat oven to 165°C – 330°F
Prepare part of the icing:
• Combine the milk and flour in a pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. It will be very thick in the end. Cool off the mixture down to room temperature.
• Prepare very strong coffee using the 3 teaspoons of instant coffee and a little of water.
• Cool off completely.
• Take out 227 g butter (1 cup) from the fridge to bring it to room temperature.
Prepare the cake:
• Whip the powdered sugar with 8 egg yolks and 2 whole eggs;
• Add the grounded nuts.
• Add the instant coffee and vanilla sugar.
• Add 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs and cocoa.
• Whip the egg whites from the 8 eggs and add to the nut batter. Mix gently with a spatula.
• Pour the cake to a buttered and floured round form (I use 26 cm - 10.5 inch).
• Bake at 330°F (165°C) for 1 hour.
• Check with a long toothpick if the cake is ready before taking it out.
• Cool off the cake.
Prepare the icing:
• Add very SLOWLY the cooled off coffee to the flour-milk mixture. Mix well. Make sure to add 1 teaspoon at a time. Try the mixture before adding more to get the coffee taste you want. Don’t add all of it.
• Add the alcohol, but also try the mixture to make sure that it is not too much. Many people like less alcohol in their icing, so add to your taste.
• Whip the butter with sugar. Make sure that the butter and sugar is whipped really well.
• Add the coffee-milk mixture to it and mix shortly (45 seconds) on high, so that the icing will be smooth. It is important that the ingredients have the same temperature, otherwise the icing can separate. If it happens, you can still use it and save your cake by sprinkling on top and the sides grounded nuts. The icing will taste the same.
Set up the cake:
• Make strong tea, add 1 tablespoon of sugar. If you like, you can add some alcohol (same as in the icing).
• Cut the cooled off cake into two round layers.
• Using a teaspoon make the cake a “little wet” with the tea. Transfer the icing into a pastry bag and with a thin round tip trace a circle on the edge of the bottom layer. Smear the cranberry jelly inside the circle and then spread the cream onto it. Place the second layer on top, make it wet with the tea, and ice with rest of the icing. If the top has a peak, you can cut it off; you can also switch the top with the bottom, since the bottom will always be flat.
• Decorate with nuts.
• Keep in the fridge until serving.
Click here to rate this easy cake recipe
Return from Pecan Cake Recipe to Best Cake Recipes
Return from Pecan Cake Recipe to Easy Cake Recipes Homepage